Dr Carlos Tirado
Dr. Tirado is a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the iCinema Centre for Interactive Cinema Research. He received a BSc degree in Engineering and IT from Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education, Mexico in 2012. He received a MSc degree in Computer Game Engineering from Newcastle University, UK in 2015. He received his PhD from University of Technology, Sydney in 2021. His research thesis focused on using neurophysiological signals as alternative inputs for Virtual Reality to provide safer interactions for Virtual Reality users.
His research expertise lies in Human-Computer Interaction in Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality. His recent works focused on using body kinematics and EEG signals to detect and mitigate VR sickness and postural instability on VR users.
His current work and main research interest are on how people interact with different Virtual Environments. Other research interests include Augmented Reality and its uses, alternative input methodologies for Mixed Reality, and Visualization of information on immersive environments.
List of Selected Outputs
- Carlos A. Tirado Cortés, Tim Chen, Daina Sturnieks, Jaime Garcia, Stephen Lord, and Chin-Teng Lin. Recovery from Forward Loss of Balance for Users Wearing Head Mounted Display in VR. IEEE Transaction on Visualization and Computer Graphics. 2019.
- Carlos A. Tirado Cortés, Tim Chen, Chin-Teng Lin. Analysis of VR sickness and Gait Parameters During Non-Isometric Virtual Walking with Large Translational Gain. ACM SIGGRAPH VRCAI 2019.
- Negin Hesam-Shariati, Toby Newton-John, Avinash K. Singh, Carlos A. Tirado Cortes, Tien-Thong Nguyen Do, Ashley Craig, James W. Middleton, Mark P. Jensen, Zina Trost, Chin-Teng Lin, Sylvia M. Gustin. Evaluation of the effectiveness of a novel brain-computer interface neuromodulative intervention to relieve neuropathic pain following spinal cord injury: protocol for a single-case experimental design with multiple baselines. JMIR Publications. 2020.
- Tien-Thong Nguyen Do, Avinash K. Singh, Carlos A. Tirado Cortes, Chin-Teng Lin. Detecting cognitive load in active spatial navigation. IEEE Symposium Series On Computational Intelligence 2020.
- Carlos A. Tirado Cortes, Tim Chen, Chin-Teng Lin. Analysis of VR Sickness and Gait Parameters During Non-Isometric Virtual Walking with Large Translational Gain. VRST 2019. (Poster)
- Tien-Thong Nguyen Do, Chin-Teng Lin, Carlos A. Tirado Cortes, Avinash K. Singh, Jia Liu, Tim Chen, Klaus Gramann. Human brain dynamics during navigation with natural walking under different workload conditions In VR by using the mobile brain/body imaging approach. Society for Neuroscience 2019. (Poster)